We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. By continuing we’ll assume you’re on board with our cookie policy

Tarrgon as Insectiside

The whole doc is available only for registered users

A limited time offer! Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteed

Order Now

There is a lot of kind of insecticide. Organic and inorganic are common types of this and it only differs from one another by substance in raw materials use. The researchers made an insecticide which made from the extract of tarragon (Artemisia drancunculus) leaves. This paper contains on how the researches come up with their study and information about the tarragon as an insecticide against aphids. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY

Nowadays one of our greatest problem especially farmers are pest specifically the insects. They cause us many troubles. Aside from they eat the plants from which we get our food for our survival they also make farmers work more difficult. Many farmers think that how they can prevent their crops from insects or some pest. Actually most of them use insecticide to protect their crops, but they didn’t know which kind of insecticides they will use. The researchers found out that there are different brand of insecticides that are expensive and can also destroy plant and humans health if they will use it. It is the reason why the researchers come up with their study that the tarragon plant can also be an insecticide and it is not harmful to the plants because it is come from organic material. The researcher found out that tarragon plant (Artemisia dracunculus) has the ability of it smell to prevent insects like aphids to destroy the plants or the crops and it has a component that has insecticidal effect such as estragole or methyl chavicol, cis and trans ocimene.

The study entitled “Tarragon Plant (Artemisia dracunculus) as an insecticide“aims to answer the following objective: 1. Test the efficacy of the tarragon plant to kill aphids 2. Is there a difference on the effect of tarragon plant as insecticide and in commercial one in terms of :
* Odor
* Color
* Effectiveness/ effect

The research study can help many farmers to lessen their expenses and make their work progressive.
The researchers found an alternative insecticide which came from tarragon plant. That is easy to make because you can found it outside your garden. Many farmers can use this insecticide because it is natural which means organic It effectiveness is come from the substance inside the plant. This insecticide is not harmful to other life forms unlike the other which also can harm the plants. Garden pest dislike the odor of the tarragon plant so if farmer will use this insecticide there is no problem to their crops.

The study focuses on the effectiveness of the tarragon plant as an insecticide against aphids. The focus of the problem is on the effect of substance of the leaves and not on the other part of the plant.

The researcher use the leaves because it is the part of the plant that riches in substance that has insecticidal effect. The researchers get the extract of the leaves to get the substance which has insecticidal effect to test in insects. The researches went to the house of their co-member to perform the experiment.

Companion plant
-plants that can be protect the other plants from insects and pests Garden pests
-pest that can be usually found on the garden plants
Tarragon plant
-a perennial herb in the family asteraceae related to wormwood Estragole or methyl chavicol
* Is an isomer of anethole, with analgesic and analseptic values. Cis and trans ocimene.
-pleasant smell monoterpenes use in perfumery. This substance is natural insecticide plant with anteseptic properties

Review of Related Literature
One of the major problems nowadays of the farmers is the aphids that destroy their crops. That is life of every farmer. The farmers need an effective and cheaper insecticide to help them to their progressive work. The researchers use leaves of tarragon plant to make an effective and cheaper insecticide. Tarragon plant

First called “Estragon” derived from the Arabic word “tharkhoum'” and the Latin word “dracunculus” meaning “little dragon” probably from the way the roots curls up like a dragon. The French refer to it as the “King of Herbs,” flavoring many of its classic cuisine.

It grows to a height of about 2 feet and has long, narrow leaves, which, unlike other members of its genus, are undivided. It blossoms in August, the small flowers, in round heads, being yellow mingled with black, and rarely fully open. The roots are long and fibrous, spreading by runners.

It has a component of Estragole or methyl chavicol an isomer of anethole, with analgesic and analseptic values. Cis and trans ocimene pleasant smell monoterpenes use in perfumery. This substance is natural insecticide plant with anteseptic properties

Insecticide, any toxic substance that is used to kill insects. Such substances are used primarily to control pests that infest cultivated plants or to eliminate disease-carrying insects in specific areas. Insecticides can be classified in any of several ways, on the basis of their chemistry, their toxicological action, or their mode of penetration. In the latter scheme, they are classified according to whether they take effect upon ingestion (stomach poisons), inhalation (fumigants), or upon penetration of the body covering (contact poisons). Most synthetic organic insecticides penetrate by all three of these pathways, however, and hence are better distinguished from each other by their basic chemistry. Besides the synthetic organics, some organic compounds occurring naturally in plants are useful insecticides, as are some inorganic compounds. Most insecticides are sprayed or dusted onto plants and other surfaces traversed or fed upon by insects.

The Companion Plant is a gardening supply store for the earth-conscious and sustainability-minded gardener.

The researcher gathered all the materials needed. An empty and clean gallon jug, a spray bottle with spray nozzle, a funnel, clean water and fresh leaves of tarragon are needed. The researchers need the extract of the leaves by using mortar and pestle. The 100g of leaves extracted used and divided in three trials (trial 1, 2, and 3). There are four treatments in every trial labeled A, B, C, and D. Treatment A has 25% of extract of tarragon leaves and 75% of water. Treatment B has 50% of extract of tarragon leaves and 50% of water. Treatment C has 75% of extract of tarragon leaves and 25%of water. And in treatment D 100% pure extract of tarragon leaves. The effectiveness of tarragon as insecticide against aphids is tested in every treatment in every trial that has equal number of aphids to be tested. It has 10 aphids and it is tested in different time interval.

Related Topics

We can write a custom essay

According to Your Specific Requirements

Order an essay
Materials Daily
100,000+ Subjects
2000+ Topics
Free Plagiarism
All Materials
are Cataloged Well

Sorry, but copying text is forbidden on this website. If you need this or any other sample, we can send it to you via email.

By clicking "SEND", you agree to our terms of service and privacy policy. We'll occasionally send you account related and promo emails.
Sorry, but only registered users have full access

How about getting this access

Your Answer Is Very Helpful For Us
Thank You A Lot!


Emma Taylor


Hi there!
Would you like to get such a paper?
How about getting a customized one?

Can't find What you were Looking for?

Get access to our huge, continuously updated knowledge base

The next update will be in:
14 : 59 : 59