Rizal in Brussels
- Pages: 2
- Word count: 299
- Category: Paris
A limited time offer! Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteedOrder Now
Two reasons why Rizal leave Paris:
1. The cost of living in Paris was very high because of the Universal Exposition.
2. The gay social life of the city hampered his literary works, especially the writing of his second novel El Filibusterismo.
Life in Brussels
Jose Albert – accompanied Rizal to move to Brussels.
Jose Alejandro – an engineering student who replaced Jose Albert.
• Rizal was busy writing his second novel.
• He wrote articles for La Solidaridad and letters for his family and friends.
• He spent part of his time in medical clinic.
• He had gymnastics at the gymnasium and target practice and fencing at the armory.
Articles Published in La Solidaridad
1. “A La Defensa” (To La Defensa), April 30, 1889 – This was a reply to an anti-Filipino writing of a Spanish author Patricio de la Escosura which was published by La Defensa on March 30, 1889.
2. “La verdad Para Todos” ( The Truth For All), May 31, 1889 – Rizal’s
defense against the Spanish charges that the Filipinos were ignorant and depraved.
3. “Vicente Barrantes’ Teatro Tagalo,” June 15, 1889 – Rizal exposes Barrantes’ ignorance on the Tagalog theatritical art.
4. “Una Profanacion” (A Profanation), July 31, 1889 – Bitter attack against the friars for denying Christian burial to Mariano Herbosa, husband of Lucia, died of cholera on May 30, 1889.
5. “Verdades Nuevas” (New Truths), July 31, 1889 – A reply to Vicente Belloc Sanchez’ letter published in Madrid newspaper, on July 4, 1889, which asserted that the granting of reforms in the Philippines would ruin the “peaceful and maternal rule” in the Philippines.
6. “Crueldad” (Cruelty), August 15, 1889 – A brilliant defense of Blumentritt from the scurrilous attacks of his enemies.