We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. By continuing we’ll assume you’re on board with our cookie policy

Is Divorce Always Bad for Children?

The whole doc is available only for registered users
  • Pages: 2
  • Word count: 298
  • Category: Divorce

A limited time offer! Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteed

Order Now

No matter how old a child is, the divorce of a parent is a highly stressful event. Most children are not prepared for the upcoming split of his/her parents. Studies have shown that less than 10% of children have support from grownups outside the family during the worst part of the divorce. The other 90% of children don’t have anyone.

A divorce can affect a child in many ways. For example, their grades could drop drastically or they can be very unpleasant to be around. Each child is affected differently by divorce depending on their age. Children from ages 3-5 will often lose sleep, they will have a heightened fear of separation form the parent with custody, and there is also a high level of grief in missing the non-custodial parent. From ages 6-8, children will come up with fantasies where their parents get back together. These children often have a hard time understanding the fact that the divorce is permanent and will not change. From ages 8-11, children tend to feel very angry and powerless. There is a strong grief based on losing the family bond that they had before. From ages 12-18, adolescents often respond to divorce with ideas of suicide, depression, and episodes of violent anger. These children also begin to worry about whether or not they will be able to enter into lasting relationships themselves.

So, in my opinion divorce can be bad for children. More than half of children whose parents have been divorced have affects. I was a child of divorce and I was affected, but learned to cope with it. Some children can handle it, but some need psychological help. I hope, someday the divorce rate will go down and fewer children will have affects from divorce.

Related Topics

We can write a custom essay

According to Your Specific Requirements

Order an essay
Materials Daily
100,000+ Subjects
2000+ Topics
Free Plagiarism
All Materials
are Cataloged Well

Sorry, but copying text is forbidden on this website. If you need this or any other sample, we can send it to you via email.

By clicking "SEND", you agree to our terms of service and privacy policy. We'll occasionally send you account related and promo emails.
Sorry, but only registered users have full access

How about getting this access

Your Answer Is Very Helpful For Us
Thank You A Lot!


Emma Taylor


Hi there!
Would you like to get such a paper?
How about getting a customized one?

Can't find What you were Looking for?

Get access to our huge, continuously updated knowledge base

The next update will be in:
14 : 59 : 59