A limited time offer! Get a custom sample essay written according to your requirements urgent 3h delivery guaranteedOrder Now
Buland Darwaza (Hindi: बुलंद दरवाज़ा, Urdu: بُلند دروازه, pronounced [ˈbʊlənd̪ d̪ərˈʋaːzaː]), meaning ‘high’ or ‘great’ gate in Urdu. It is located in Fatehpur Sikri, which is located 43 km away from Agra, India. It is also known as the “Gate of Magnificence.” Buland Darwaza or the loft gateway was built by the great Mughal emperor, Akbar in 1601 A.D. at Fatehpur Sikri. Akbar built the Buland Darwaza to commemorate his victory over Gujarat.  Architecture
The Buland Darwaza is made of red and buff sandstone, decorated by white and black marble and towers above the courtyard of the mosque. The Buland Darwaza is symmetrical in plan and is topped by large free standing kiosks, which are the chhatris. It also has at top center the Buland Darwaza style roof terrace edge gallery-kiosks on the roof, stylized buckler-battlements, small minar-spires, and illuminating inlay work with white and black marble. On the outside a long flight of steps sweeps down the hill giving the gateway additional height.
It is 40 metres high and 50 metres from the ground. The total height of the Structure is about 54 metres from the ground level. It is a 15-storied high gateway that guards the southern entrance of the city of Fatehpur Sikri. A Persian inscription on eastern archway of the Buland Darwaza records Akbar’s conquest over Uttar Pradesh and the victory in Gujarat in 1601. An inscription on the central face of the Buland Darwaza throws light on Akbar’s religious broad mindedness. It took 12 years to build.
Plan of the Red Fort before 1857
The Red Fort was the residence of the Mughal emperor of India for nearly 200 years, until 1857. It is located in the centre of Delhiand houses a number of museums. In addition to accommodating the emperors and their households, it was the ceremonial and political centre of Mughal government and the setting for events critically impacting the region. The Red Fort was built as the fortified palace of Shahjahanabad, capital of the fifth Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, in 1648.